<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Greek on the grill

It's grilling season, which means it's also burger season.  I LOVE burgers.  I lived on them while I was pregnant (bun-less, of course, which is still how I usually eat them) and still crave them often.

The truth is, I rarely make them at home.  Why, I have no idea!  So, one of the challenges I've given myself this year is to make a wide variety of burgers, using lots of different ingredients.  I hope you enjoy the first in my series :)

This was seriously mouthwatering.  And in the spirit of full disclosure, I had two of them (again, sans bread).  I couldn't help myself.  The combination of spices was perfect, and I really love the taste of lamb, so everything together was great.  Before I tried it, I thought I'd need a slice of raw onion (a MUST when I eat a standard cheeseburger!) or some feta cheese on top of it...when really, a dollop of tzatziki was good enough.

Tzatziki, by the way, is something I've been making for years...I love its versatility.  It's great with meats and vegetables, or even as a dip with toasted pita chips.  Keep in mind that I am a garlic fiend, so cut back on it if feel the need.  I highly recommend that you don't, but hey, your choice.


Minted Lamb Burgers
adapted from Epicurious

1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of salt and pepper
pita bread

Gently combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Do not overmix.  Form into 4 one-inch thick patties.  Grill for approximately 3 minutes on each side for medium well burgers.  Serve on pita with tzatziki.


Tzatziki
1 cup plain greek nonfat yogurt
1 cup chopped cucumber (peel and seeds removed)
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
salt and pepper to taste
3 garlic cloves, chopped

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix.  Taste as you go along and adjust ingredients accordingly.  Chill before serving.

Linked to: Dressings & Sauces Link Up
                 Cucumber Blog Hop




Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At April 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

I am a burger lover too! This looks excellent with the tzatziki!

 
At April 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

Yum! Adding this to my meal plan for next week for sure :)

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I love that you made these out of lamb! It really and truly is the only meat that I miss...I may have to make an exception for it every once in a while. These burgers look great!

 
At May 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I FUCKING LOVE LAMB BURGERS!!!!!!!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous Megan said...

Pop some crumbled feta and some minced red onion into the burgers for extra juiciness. YUM

 
At January 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice. Looks so tasty! Have you ever salted and pressed the cucumber? I've found that the salting helps drain the water from the cucumber and keeps the sauce extra thick.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home