<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Another weeknight quickie!

I know I sound like a broken record, but this is another one you can file under quick and easy.  Matter of fact, I'll be making a QuickAndEasy tag after I finish this post.  Frank loved it, as did I...much more than the variation I once made several years ago.  The flavors are intense, but not overbearing.

The recipe calls for drumsticks and thighs, but I used boneless chicken breasts, since that's what I had defrosted.  Because of that, I adjusted some of the measurements and the cooking time, which I noted below in parentheses.  I served it with whole wheat couscous (cooked in homemade chicken stock) and steamed asparagus.  The extra sauce from the chicken tasted nice mixed in with the couscous - but rice would probably do the trick too.  I had it on the table in under 30 minutes...just call me Rachael!



Balsamic Glazed Chicken
from Cooks Recipes

6 broiler-fryer leg-thigh combinations, skinned, cut in 2 parts (I used 3 boneless chicken breasts)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (2 teaspoons)
3/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, chopped (I used 4, lol)
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops (2 T)

In large frypan, place oil and heat to medium-high temperature. Add chicken and cook, turning and sprinkling pepper equally on each side of chicken, about 10 (5) minutes or until slightly brown on all sides. Remove chicken from frypan and drain off any excess oil.

Add garlic to frypan; saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and slowly add chicken stock, scraping to dissolve any bits clinging to bottom of pan.

Increase heat to medium-high temperature; add vinegar and honey and rapidly boil for 3 minutes to reduce liquid to one cup. Return chicken to frypan; reduce heat to medium temperature. Cook, turning, about 30 (15) minutes, or until liquid thickens and becomes a dark mahogany glaze and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.

Remove chicken to heated platter, pour glaze over chicken and sprinkle with sliced green onion tops.

Serves 3
WW Points+ = 5

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Patrizia said...

I made this with Chicken Thighs tonight. It was VERY VERY good! However, I went a little heavy on the balsamic (about a cup!) so it was more tangy. I also think I'd like it better with breast (in general I'm not a fan of thighs). Anyway 2 thumbs up Melissa!
- patrizia

 
At January 7, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thanks Patrizia...glad you enjoyed it. Try it with breasts next time!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Blogger Aunt Maria said...

Can't wait to make this...I think Monday night. Sounds delicious and something everybody will enjoy, especially Dave. Thanks for the great idea!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home