<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, October 19, 2012

No Shell Taco Salad

It's recipe swap time again!  This time, for Blogger's Choice, I was assigned Tina's blog, Tasty Treats by Tina.  I had a few things bookmarked, but ultimately I chose a dish that I threw together with some leftovers that made a great lunch!

Normally I wouldn't think of putting cucumbers in a taco salad, but like I said, I was basically cleaning out the fridge with this one :)  So, anything goes...feel free to toss in whatever you have on hand.  I would have loved some jalapenos in here...and olives...what can I say, I was overdue to go shopping!


Obviously, a shell would be fantastic for this (or even chips underneath) - but if you're keeping it low carb, this is the way to go!  You don't even miss the carbs with this one.  Thanks for a great salad, Tina!


No Shell Taco Salad
adapted from Tasty Treats by Tina

1 pound ground beef
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
1/4 chopped onion
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 avocado, cut into chunks
1/2 cucumber, sliced
cherry tomatoes
romaine lettuce
shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
sour cream

Place meat to a large skillet and cook over medium high heat.  Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and stir to combine while cooking.  Once fully cooked, remove from pan and drain fat.

Combine all veggies in a bowl.  Add meat and cheese.  Mix salsa and sour cream in a small bowl, and use as dressing for salad.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At October 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Lindsay {life and kitchen} said...

Taco salad is always a winner. Such a good go-to meal!

 
At October 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Jaida said...

Mmm I love taco salad!! And finding a way to lower the carbs/calories is always great!

 
At October 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Looks like a great salad! Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Ooh I love this idea! Looks great!

 
At October 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM , Anonymous Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Cucumbers in a taco salad? Who would have thought?!

 
At October 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Sometimes I top it with the crispy tricolor tortilla strips.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me! Some of the best salads involve cleaning out the fridge :)

 
At October 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

This salad sounds great! I love that it's so versatile!

 
At October 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM , Anonymous Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

Awesome idea - I don't like the hard tacos anyway, so this would be a perfect alternative for me!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home