<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, September 24, 2012

Stuffed Long Peppers

Several months ago, I asked my Aunt Joan for some of her recipes since I knew she had a lot of them written down.  She handed over a recipe box that was amazing, with papers that were turning yellow and tearing at the edges.  I had so much fun going through it, picking and choosing which ones I wanted to scan and keep.

Frank doesn't eat peppers so I waited until I was feeding a crowd to serve these up...one of many dishes that takes me back to me childhood.  The smell while they're cooking is enough to jog my memory.


I made these the day before I needed them and warmed them in the oven right before serving.  Now that I've done that, I know that next time I need more crushed tomatoes/sauce since it seemed to have absorbed into the peppers after reheating.  They were still delicious, but a little more sauce would have been nice.


Stuffed Long Peppers
from Aunt Joan

10 long frying peppers
3 cups Italian bread crumbs
3 tablespoons capers
chopped anchovies (I omitted)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg
extra virgin olive oil
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or 3 cups marinara)
(if using canned crushed tomatoes, add seasonings like basil, garlic powder, parsley, salt, pepper)

Cut tops off peppers and clean out insides.  Set aside.

In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, capers, anchovies, garlic and egg.  Add oil to the point where mixture becomes moist.  Stuff mixture inside peppers.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add peppers.  Add tomatoes (and seasonings, if using) and brown peppers on each side.  Lower heat, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes.

You can reheat this later in the oven, or you can skip the frying step entirely and bake in the oven for a healthier alternative.



Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM , Blogger Sprigs of Rosemary said...

This is a crowd pleaser. Too bad about your Frank not liking the peppers. Can't believe this didn't convince him.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home