<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Turkey Sloppy Joes

There are different meals that are staples in certain homes.  If you're a regular reader of my blog, you know what some of ours are :)  What are yours?

One meal that I know is a popular staple with some families is sloppy joes.  And that's great.  It's just not something I remember eating much at all growing up...and until now, a meal that I never made.

All I picture when I hear the words is a Manwich can.  Do they even make that anymore?

Anyway, the mood struck me recently, and I caved.  With a healthier version.  On homemade rolls (another first!!!  recipe coming soon).


Thumbs up for sure.  This could be a new staple for us...and hopefully for you, too!  You could even make it your healthy option for Super Bowl Sunday, that is, if you're considering one :)

Turkey Sloppy Joes
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 pound ground turkey
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 sandwich rolls

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add carrots, onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until soft.

Add tomato paste and cook another minute while stirring.  Add turkey and cook another 4-5 minutes until no longer pink, while breaking meat up with a spoon.

Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12-14 minutes.  Serve on rolls.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At February 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Katerina said...

I have never tried Sloppy Joes but this one looks definitely like something my family would love as well!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous stacey rennie said...

i'm making this tonight!! :)

 
At February 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Aarthi said...

This looks awesome..Yummy Recipe

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

 
At February 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I can definitely remember my mom making sloppy joes...they were a favorite though I always wished hers would be messier. This sounds like a great healthy alternative!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home