<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sweet Sunday Morning

It's nice to have a Sunday morning where you can kick back and relax.  That's what Sundays are supposed to be all about, right?  Even with a 2 year old?  Hmmm...

My mother-in-law came over today for breakfast, and of course I still had all that bread on my mind, so that can only mean one thing...


Normally when I make an overnight french toast casserole I use the same recipe, but I thought I'd try something different this time around.  It didn't disappoint.  Sweet, crunchy, soft, hearty, and comforting.  I halved it since there were only 4 of us, and we still had leftovers.  

Next time, I'll prepare the praline topping the night before too...the whole point is to have less to do when you wake up, right?  I cut up the fruit last night, so all I had to do today was make the topping and cook the bacon (400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet).  So simple and perfect.

Oh, and believe me when I tell you, this does NOT need syrup.  Not a drop.

Baked French Toast with Maple & Praline

FRENCH TOAST:
1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces) (I used Italian)
8 large eggs
2 cups half & half
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
dash of salt

PRALINE TOPPING:
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1. The night before: Slice French bread into twenty 1-inch slices. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9×13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine eggs, half & half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; whisk until blended. Pour mixture over bread slices, making sure that all are covered evenly with milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
2. The morning of: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine praline ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Spread praline topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
Serves: 6 to 8

***I halved the recipe and used a 9x9 pan.  Baked it for 33 minutes.  Plenty for 4 people.***



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At January 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Ann said...

I love Baked French Toast. I bet your mother in law loved this.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home