<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Soup - it's what's for dinner

Even though the temps really haven't dropped yet, I'm happy to say that it's soup season.  I LOVE soup.  Instant comfort in a bowl.

Growing up, I had a friend who called me every night and asked what we had for dinner.  She was curious, but probably also a bit jealous because her mom never cooked.  There were nights when we'd have soup as our main dish.  A nice hearty one, like Pasta e Fagioli, was common...or Mom's Chicken Soup...so many options, and all so good.  And my friend would be in shock.  "Soup?  For dinner?  That's not a meal."

Oh, yes it is.  And a pretty good one at that.  

These days, I love breaking out the oldies but goodies, while also experimenting with other recipes.  And I can do that even when I'm going to be out for most of the day, thanks to my trusty crockpot.  It's a great tool for many kinds of soups, like this one.


I don't own any of those little soup crocks, you know, that you stick under the broiler when making french onion soup the traditional way.  I never found a good enough reason to buy them and have them take up a lot of cabinet space.  And because of that, I never made french onion soup...until now.


This method is just as delicious, and super easy...perfect for people on the go, or who don't have soup crocks :)

Crockpot French Onion Soup

3 onions, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons AP flour
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 (32 oz) containers beef broth
French bread, sliced
Gruyere cheese

Turn crockpot on high, add butter and let melt.  Add onions, cover, and cook for 45-60 minutes until they have caramelized.  

Mix flour, worcestershire, sugar and pepper in a bowl.  Slowly add mixture, along with broth, to crockpot, stirring well while adding.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

Top bread with cheese and toast for about 20 minutes at 250 degrees.  Pour soup into bowls and top with bread slices.  


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Candy said...

Soup is totally a meal! I love making soup and this recipe looks fantastic.

I made crockpot french dip sandwiches recently and turned the leftovers into a soup that was out of this world.

 
At September 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Renee Paj said...

French Onion soup is probably one of my top ten most fav soups! This looks simple and delicious!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

I wish French Onion Soup was just as good with chicken broth, since I don't eat beef or beef products. It always looks so delicious. Thanks for linking up this week!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home