<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, May 2, 2011

Your Cinco de Mayo plans?

Who's got big plans for Thursday?  Back in the day, Cinco de Mayo was always a fun day/night out that included great Mexican food, mucho margaritas and a tequila shot thrown in here and there.  Good times.

This year, I'll be at the hospital waiting for my sister and father to get out of surgery.  Dad has a viral kidney disease that forced him to have his first transplant back in 1999.  My Mom happened to be a match so she donated, and unfortunately, the virus has attacked that kidney to the point where he now needs another.  That's where my sister comes in.  We're hoping this one lasts at least another 12 years before the next one is needed...our family is starting to run out of kidneys! ;)

At least I know that if I get home and want to make a snack to put me in the Mexican mood, I can whip this together really fast.  I've been making this longer than I can remember - it's a great dish to bring to parties, especially when the weather is warmer since it's served cold.

I'm sure I'll be in need of a few tequila shots, too.



7 Layer Dip
1 can fat free refried beans
1 container light sour cream
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
5 scallions, chopped
2 large tomatoes, "guts" removed, chopped
3 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, chopped (or 1 cup jarred jalapeno slices, chopped)
1 can black olives, chopped
1 (8 oz) package shredded light cheddar cheese

Cover the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan evenly with refried beans.  Mix sour cream, chili powder and cumin together, and spread evenly on top of the beans.

Finish off with the remainder of the toppings in whatever order you like.  Chill for at least an hour before serving with tortilla chips.

***You can use different toppings, spices or another type of pan/serving dish...just adjust measurements accordingly***


Linked to: Bean Blog Hop


Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At May 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger kecarr said...

the dip looks yummy, but more importantly, prayers and wishes for your father, sister & your entire family! That dip & tequila shot will be a great way to celebrate after a successful day!

 
At May 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

Hope everything goes well with your dad this Cinco de Mayo.

What a great light Mexican dip. I love it!

 
At May 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Tessa said...

Hope all goes well with the transplant! 7 layer dip is always welcome around here :)

 
At May 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Pam said...

I think my Cinco de Mayo plans now include this dip!

 
At May 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

7 layer dip is a favorite of mine. I think I should mention Cinco de Mayo to my office so we have an excuse to make some of this yummy food.

 
At May 3, 2011 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Good luck to your dad and sister! And yes, I think some tequila will be very much welcome after the surgery.

This dip looks delicious! Can't go wrong with all those tasty layers!

 
At January 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous jessy said...

I'll be graduating Culinary School on Cinco de Mayo! Talk about a party! This looks like a yummy dish.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home