<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Throwback" meal

Growing up, I knew about Shake n Bake, but I don't remember my Mom using it often.  I recall a few times having pork chops made with them, I think...but it was very popular in the 70s, even if not in our house.  Was it a regular item in yours?

I was checking out Cathy's Kitchen Journey and her post today (oreo cheesecake bars...yum!), when I found a recipe to use for two chicken breasts that I needed to cook tonight.  I changed it up a bit and added a side that I've never made for Frank before (another popular dish of the past)...both got a big thumbs up.  I will admit, part of the reason I chose the side too is because it uses the same oven temp to cook as the chicken.  Made my life much easier :)



Mock Shake n Bake Chicken
adapted from Cathy's Kitchen Journey

2 chicken breasts
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 T chili powder
2 T garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil



Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place a roasting rack on top of the foil. Spray the rack with cooking spray.

In a gallon plastic zip bag, combine all the dry ingredients. Shake to mix well.  Add the oil and shake again until it resembles crumbles.
Clean and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.  Add the chicken to the bag and shake to coat well, using your hands to coat as needed.  Transfer to the rack.  Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until juice runs clear.





Twice Baked Potatoes
2 baking potatoes
cheddar cheese, shredded
pat of butter
1 T sour cream
chives or parsley (optional)


Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.  Just as they are finished, put cheese and butter in a bowl and microwave for approximately one minute.  Remove from microwave and add sour cream, mix together.
Take potatoes out of the oven, slice lengthwise down the middle, scoop out the insides and mix them up with the heated cheese.  Put mixture back in the potatoes and bake for another 5-10 minutes.  Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I grew up on Shake N Bake pork chops! (And many other pre-prepped/quick to prepare meals) Thanks for sharing this. I may have to try making it for my dad.

 
At December 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Cathy said...

yay, glad you liked it!

 
At December 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Kari said...

We just had this chicken for dinner & it came out awesome! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home