<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I bet if I started a poll and asked, "what food makes you think of the comforts of home?" the most popular answer would be...

Chicken soup.

Yes?  No?  Maybe?  (and I'm curious to hear your answer if it's different!)

If it is, I'm with you.  If it's not, then try this, and you'll probably change your mind.  Not only is it very easy, but it's the way my Mom makes it, and nothing is more comforting than Mom's cooking.  I christened my new stock pot that my parents gave me for Christmas by making this...can't think of a better way.

Frank likes me to add broken spaghetti to his...you can add any pasta you like, but I would recommend doing it for each serving as you are about to eat it.  Throwing it into the big pot will only make it mushy and that won't be good when you're enjoying it days later.  Which, you can easily do...stick it in the fridge and just skim the fat that gathers on top...or, freeze it and enjoy its goodness at a later date (not a bad thing to have handy when your winter cold sets in!).

This can definitely stand up as a meal of its own, or served with a sandwich or salad.




Mom's Chicken Soup
1 whole chicken, or whatever parts you have (this time I used all the parts except the breasts)
1 large onion, peeled and halved
3 celery stalks, including tops
6 carrots, peeled and cut in big chunks (3-4 per carrot)
fresh parsley
salt and pepper

Put everything in a big pot and cover with cold water (about an inch or two over the ingredients).  Bring to a boil, then lower and simmer for at least 2 hours.

Serve with lots of TLC.


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 5, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Lora said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 5, 2011 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Lora said...

This may be a silly question but do you put the chicken part in with the bone. I want to make this but want to know if I am geting the chicken deboned or pulling the bones out after

 
At January 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Hi Lora! After washing the chicken I throw it right in, as is - skin and bones. Then I fish everything out after it's done. More flavorful that way.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home